My favorite thing about August is that I get to leave work at noon on Fridays. This means that my Friday lunches are a little more interesting than they usually are (leftovers). After craving a caprese salad and a grilled cheese, I decided to merge them and make this grilled cheese sandwich.
What I used:
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into slices
- 1 heirloom tomato, cut into slices
- 3 basil leaves
- 1 slice of prosciutto, split evenly
- pepper to taste
- 4 slices of bread
- 1T olive oil
What I did:
- Put the mozzarella, tomato, basil leaves, prosciutto and pepper on the bread (this is really easy). Make sure that there is cheese on both sides of the bread so that when the cheese melts, it helps to hold the sandwich together.
- Warm olive oil in a pan and put the sandwich in. Cook on each side until cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown. I use a lid on my pan which helps the cheese to melt a little faster.
- Enjoy! We had a glass of barefootbucha Ginger Kombucha to go with our sandwich, but a chilled white wine or prosecco would also go nicely.
So let me know, what’s the best kind of grilled cheese you’ve ever had?